Signs of Roof Wear and Tear
Tips by an Expert Local Roofer on How to Discover any Roofing Issues
Today, we will help you learn how to inspect and recognize your roof for problems,so that you can address an issue from the very first moment it occurs, and not let it grow and turn into a major problem. Of course, the most important thing to do is inspect the exterior of your property!
Exterior roof inspection
Checking out the exterior of your roof will require you to climb the roof and walk around. Your alternative is to hire a professional roofer to do this for you. Here is what you will need to do, in order to do a proper inspection:
- Examine all gutters and downspouts. Make sure that the drains are well secured to the roof and free from debris.
- Check for damaged shingles by visually exploring the surface of the roof. Look for shingles that look torn, bald, cracked, or missing.
- Look around the chimney for any loose materials and any wear around chimney pipes and vents.
- Note any rusty nails or flashings.
- Be aware of any mold, rot, or moisture. These are signs of potentially damaging water wear.
- Look for shingle granules in the gutter. A large number of granules may be a sign of excessive roof wear.
- Check to ensure that all kitchen, bathroom, and dryer vents go directly outside the home.
Roof Type Specific Wear and Tear Signs
Different roofs show different signs of wear and tear. Here are a few examples:
- Asphalt shingles – If your roof has any added layers of asphalt, the newest layer needs to be less than 10 years old for insurability.
- Tile roof – Check for broken or cracked tiles without walking on the roof. You will definitely need to call a specialist to replace the tiles, as they are very delicate. The roofs must be replaced every 40 years for insurability, no matter whether you can see any visible cracks, or such are not evident.
- Wooden Shake Shingles – Be on the lookout for termites, carpenter ants and other pests that like to settle in such shingles and feed from their core.
If you need the help of an expert roofer in the area of Brooklyn, NY, to address your problems and help you discover any issues with your shingles and roof construction, you can call Roman Ray Roofing, at (917) 295-4543!